Tuesday 8 May 2012

I was talking to someone the other day and the conversation came on to "What do you do?"
After I said I'm an artist, illustrator and author, she mentioned her husband is an author and illustrator too. 'Great!' I thought. Then she qualified the statement with, "he's not got anything published though."

So that got me thinking. Do I see myself as an author?

If someone asks you what you do, do you say, "I'm a author," or do you reply with whatever 'job' you have? More and more I started to think of myself as a writer, especially after I had ebooks published, more so when people started buying them!

As an exampe, if a lady earns money teaching, she is a teacher. She may be a good teacher or she may be a rubbish teacher, but she is a teacher. She may not take it seriously and therefore make much money at it, but she is still a teacher.

If you write books, publish books and sell books, - ebooks included - then you have the right to call yourself an author, but what if you are unpublished and have no sales?

Is there more to being an author?
Are you an author?

No comments:

Post a Comment